I started my academic and research career in 2001 as a university lecturer in the mechanical engineering field with teaching different courses and supervising several final research and industrial projects. I received my PhD in 2012 mechanical engineering from Ferdowsi University of Mashhad and on the nonlinear modelling of nanostructures. Afterward, I joined the Structural and Material Computational mechanics (MSC) research unit at BATir department at the University of Brussels (ULB). In BATir, I worked on an industrial project with the aim of design, simulation and manufacturing a low-frequency acoustic emission broadband sensor for vibration monitoring of rotary machines.
After this project, I joined the Space Structure and Systems Lab. (S3L) at the University of Liege (ULg). Design and modelling of the piezoelectric tuned vibration absorbers with focus on nonlinear aspects was my main task during my cooperation with S3L. Now, I am research associate of the Dynamic Research Group (DRG) at the University of Sheffield and also a member of theme 9 in the Programme for Simulation Innovation (PSi).
Nonlinear dynamics, Finite-Element Modelling, computational mechanics and simulation of the smart materials and structures are my main research interests.
- Nonlinear dynamics.
- Smart structures and machines.
- Modelling, design, and simulation of smart materials.
- Modelling, design, and simulation of machines.
- Computational mechanics.
- Numerical methods (FEM).
- Novel vibration absorbers.
- Novel energy harvesting systems.
I am working on a project titled “Cradle-to-Grave Life Cycle Prediction of Automotive Materials and Systems in Service." My main focus is on the modelling of the material deterioration and ageing of polymeric and elastomeric components in vehicles. As the ageing gradually changes the mechanical properties of the components, I am also interested in the impact of the ageing on the performance of the vehicle. I am developing a simulation tool for prediction and assessment of two key components during their in-service life. In simple words, I am trying to create a simulation package which predicts the variation of the mechanical and dynamical behaviours of the two key vehicle components as their constituent elements deteriorate during their lifetime.
- A. Deraemaeker, and P. Soltani. "A short note on equal peak design for the pendulum tuned mass dampers." Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics (2016): 1464419316652558.
- P. Soltani, G. Kerschen, G. Tondreau, and A. Deraemaeker. "Tuning of a piezoelectric vibration absorber attached to a damped structure." Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures (2016).
- P. Soltani, and G. Kerschen. "The nonlinear piezoelectric tuned vibration absorber." Smart Materials and Structures 24.7 (2015): 075015.
- P. Soltani, G. Kerschen, G. Tondreau, A. Deraemaeker, Vibration Damping using Resonant Shunt Circuits: An Exact Solution, Smart Mater. Struct. 23 (2014) 125014.
- P. Soltani, M. Keikhosravy, R.H. Oskouei, C. Soutis, Studying the Tensile Behavior of GLARE Laminates: A Finite Element Modelling Approach, Applied Composite Materials, (2010) 1-12.
- P. Soltani, J. Saberian, R. Bahramian, A. Farshidianfar, Nonlinear Vibration Analysis of Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes Based On The Nonlocal Shell Elasticity Theory, J. Comput. Nonlinear Dynam , (2015).
- P. Soltani, M. M. Taherian, A. Farshidianfar, Vibration and instability of a viscous-fluid-conveying single-walled carbon nanotube embedded in a visco-elastic medium, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 43 (2010) 425401.
- P. Soltani, P. Bahar, A. Farshidianfar, An efficient GDQ model for vibration analysis of a MWNT on Pasternak foundation with general boundary condition, Proc. IMechE Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science, 255 (2011) 1730-1741.
- P. Soltani, and A. Farshidianfar, "Periodic solution for nonlinear vibration of a ﬂuid-conveying carbon nanotube, based on the nonlocal continuum theory by energy balance method." Applied Mathematical Modelling 36 (2012).
- Farshidianfar, P. Soltani, Nonlinear flow-induced vibration of a SWCNT with a geometrical imperfection, Computational Materials Science, 53 (2012) 105-116.
- P. Soltani, et al. "An efficient continuum model for CNTs-based bio-sensors." The European Physical Journal Applied Physics 59.01 (2012): 10403.
- P. Soltani, D.D. Ganji, I. Mehdipour, A. Farshidanfar, Nonlinear vibration and rippling instability for embedded carbon nanotubes, The Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 26 (2012) 985-992.doi: I 10.1007/s12206-011-1006-7.
- P. Soltani, A. Kassaei, and M. M. Taherian. "Nonlinear and quasi-linear behavior of a curved carbon nanotube vibrating in an electric force field; an analytical approach." Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica 27.1 (2014): 97-110.
- M. Keikhosravy, R.H. Oskouei, P. Soltani, A. Atas, C. Soutis, Effect of geometric parameters on the stress distribution in Al 2024-T3 single-lap bolted joints, International Journal of Structural Integrity,3(2012)6-6.
- P. Soltani, O.Pashaei, M.M. Taherian, A. Farshidianfar, Free Vibration of a Carbon Nanotube-Based Mass Sensor, Advanced Materials Research, 403 (2012) 1163-1167.
- I.Mehdipor, P. Soltani, D.D. Ganji, A. Farshidianfar, Nonlinear vibration and bending instability of a single-walled carbon nanotube using nonlocal elastic beam, International Journal of Nanoscience, 10 (2011) 447-453.
- P. Soltani, A. Kassaei, M.M. Taherian, A. Farshidianfar, Vibration of wavy single-walled carbon nanotubes based on nonlocal Euler Bernoulli and Timoshenko models, International Journal of Advanced Structural Engineering, 4 (2012) 3.
- P. Soltani, J. Saberian, R. Bahramian, A. Farshidanfar, Nonlinear free and forced vibration analysis of a single-walled carbon nanotube using shell model, International Journal of Fundamental Physical Sciences, 1 (2011) 47-52.